Email us at [email protected] you have questions about our Privacy Notice.
How We Collect Information
- directly from you
- from users of the website
- from third parties, such as data repositories, referral and reseller partners, universities, and publishers
- from our vendors and business partners
- from recruiters
Information We Collect
- contact and demographic information
- registration information
- user content
- payment information
- cookies and other usage information we collect by automated means
How We Use Your Information
- operate our business
- analyze the use of, improve, and promote our products and services
- perform a contract
- communicate with users
- comply with laws, rules and our policies
We may share the information we collect:
- within our company
- with our service providers and business partners
- with organizations that established your Code Ocean account as required by laws, rules and our policies
- in connection with a merger, acquisition or another corporate transaction
Effective Date: May 31st, 2018
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may collect personal information about individuals who interact with Code Ocean, such as users of our Site.
We may collect personal information:
- Directly from individuals
- From users of the Site
- From third parties, such as data repositories, reseller and referral partners, universities and Publishers
- From your organization and others with whom you have a relationship that provide or publish personal information related to you, such as from our customers when they arrange access to our Site for you
- Through the Site
- From third party vendors, data brokers or business partners
The types of personal information we collect include:
- Personal and Business Contact Information. We collect contract information, such as your name, email address, job title, and employer or institutional affiliation.
- Registration & Social Sign-On Information. We collect the username and password that you may select in connection with establishing an account on the Site. We may collect information from your social media accounts when you use your social media credentials to log in to the Site, such as your name and email address, in accordance with your social media account settings.
- User Content. We collect any User Content that you Post on the Site, such as Code that you Post on the Site.
- Payment Information. If you make a purchase on the Site, then our payment processor will process your payment information. We do not collect or store any payment information.
- Information from Third Parties. We may obtain information about you from third parties, such as data repositories, universities and Publishers, including your name and email address. We may combine that information with the information that we collect about you on the Site, including Usage Information.
- Customer Support. We collect information that you provide to us through your communications with our customer-support team.
- Cookies, Automatic Data Collection, and Related Technologies. The Site collects and stores information that is generated automatically as you use it, as further described below in the section titled “Cookies and Other Information Collected by Automated Means”.
Code Ocean’s cloud-based computational reproducibility platform provides researchers and developers an easy way to share, discover and run code within their lab, university, or organization, and that which is published in academic journals and conferences. When using the code uploaded to our platform, our users may upload data to be analyzed by the code (“User Datasets”). We do not control the content of User Datasets that any user may choose to upload. We do not process any User Datasets except at the direction of the user who uploaded that User Dataset.
COOKIES AND OTHER INFORMATION COLLECTED BY AUTOMATED MEANS
The information that may be collected by automated means may include:
- IP address, browser characteristics, device IDs and characteristics, operating system version, language preferences, referring URLs, and information about the usage of our Site.
- Details about the devices that are used to access our Site (such as the IP address, and type of operating system and web browser)
- Dates and times of visits to, and use of, our websites and mobile applications
- Information about how our websites and mobile applications are used (such as the content that is viewed on our websites and how users navigate on or between our webpages)
- URLs that refer visitors to our websites
- Search terms used to reach our websites or locate our mobile applications
- Our service providers may collect information about your online activities over time and across different online services if those online services also use the same service providers. For instance, we may use Google Analytics. To learn more about Google Analytics and how to opt out, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
Web browsers may offer users of our websites the ability to disable receiving certain types of cookies; however, if cookies are disabled, some features or functionality of our websites may not function correctly. The “help” menu on most internet browsers contains information on how to disable cookies, or you can visit www.aboutcookies.org/how-to-control-cookies/.
HOW CODE OCEAN USES YOUR INFORMATION
We may use personal information for the following purposes:
- Internal and Site-Related Usage. We may use and retain any information that we collect to provide, maintain and improve the Site and our products and services and to otherwise conduct our business (including to research and develop new products and services or in connection with the performance of a contract).
- Communications. We use your information to communicate with you, including to provide you with updates about Code Ocean and/or the Site and for operational purposes, such as account management, customer service, or system maintenance.
- Enhancement of Communications and Strategies. We may use information to analyze and enhance our communications and strategies, including by identifying when emails sent to you have been received and read, and which links on our emails are clicked.
- Performance of a Contract. We may use information where the processing is necessary for the performance of the contract.
- Customization. We may use information to tailor the content we display in our communications and on the Site.
- Legal Reasons. We may use information to comply with legal or regulatory requirements, judicial process, and our company policies; and to protect against, identify, investigate, and respond to fraud, illegal activity (such as incidents of hacking or misuse of our websites and mobile applications), and claims and other liabilities, including by enforcing the terms and conditions that govern the services we provide.
- Recruiting. We may use information to facilitate our recruitment activities (such as processing employment applications, evaluating a job candidate for an employment activity, and monitoring recruitment statistics).
- To send you marketing and promotional communications. We, or our partners, may send you Code Ocean-related marketing communications as permitted by law. You will have the ability to opt-out of our marketing and promotional communications as described in the Opt out of marketing section below.
- Aggregate Data. We may de-identify and aggregate data collected through the Site, such that the information no longer identifies any specific individual. We may use, disclose, and otherwise process it for any lawful purpose, including historical and statistical analysis and business planning, without restriction.
We do not use User Datasets for our own purposes. We do not process User Datasets except at the direction of the user who uploaded that User Dataset.
HOW CODE OCEAN MAY DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
- We Use Vendors and Service Providers. We may share any information that we receive through the Site with vendors, service providers and partners retained in connection with the provision of the Site, including for the purposes of data analytics, customer service and support, technology support, email and web hosting, marketing and email communication. We require our vendors and service providers by contract to only use or disclose the information they process on our behalf as necessary to perform certain services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements.
- Our affiliates and subsidiaries. We may share your information with any members of our business group, which includes our affiliates, subsidiaries and branch offices, to which it is reasonably necessary or desirable for us to disclose your information in order to carry out the above-mentioned information processing purposes.
- Your Organization. We may share your personal information with your organization and others with whom you have a relationship in order to fulfill or perform a contract or other legal obligation, including with our customer that arranges access to our Site for you and pays us in connection with your access.
- Social Networking Websites. The Site may allow you to export and share information to social media websites. We do not share your information with these sites unless you direct the Site to do so. Their use of any information that you share with them will be governed by their privacy policies, and you may be able to modify your privacy settings on their website.
- User Content. We will disclose your User Content to other Users when you facilitate such disclosures through the functionality available on the Site. For example, we will disclose to other Users your Software Content and other User Content when you Publish. Your contact information (such as your name and institutional affiliation, if provided) will be displayed with your User Content that you disclose through the Site.
- Usage Information. We may share de-identified Usage Information with third parties, such as Publishers, investors, universities and readers of publications that we may publish about Site usage.
- As Required By Law and Similar Disclosures. We may access, preserve, and disclose your information to comply with legal and regulatory requirements, and protect against and prevent fraud, illegal activity (such as identifying and responding to incidents of hacking or misuse of our Site), and claims and other liabilities,.
- With Your Consent. We may also disclose your information with your consent.
We do not rent, sell, or share personal information (as defined by California Civil Code § 1798.83) with other people or nonaffiliated companies for their direct marketing purposes, unless we have your permission, except to our agents, reseller partners, contractors who may use it on our behalf in connection with their relationship with use (for example, we may use third parties to help us with the marketing and sale of our services through our Site).
We do not disclose User Datasets for our own purposes. We do not process User Datasets except at the direction of the user who uploaded that User Dataset.
We will retain your information only for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which the information was collected, depending on the purpose(s) for which the information was collected, the nature of the information, any contractual relationship that may governs the retention of the data, and our legal or regulatory obligations. We will then destroy your information or anonymize the information, in accordance with applicable law.
SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information we maintain against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. However, we cannot guarantee that the measures we maintain will ensure the security of the personal information.
Our Site is not intended for individuals under 18 years of age. We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use personal information from children under 13 years of age, and no part of the Site is directed to children under the age of 13. If you learn that your child has provided us with personal information without your consent, you may alert us at [email protected]. If we learn that we have collected any personal information from children under 13, then we will promptly take steps to delete such information.
You can unsubscribe from marketing or other commercial emails from us via the unsubscribe link provided in the email. Even if you opt out from receiving promotional messages from us, we retain the right to send you non-marketing communications (such as notices regarding changes in the terms that govern the Site).
We work with advertisers, advertising networks, advertising servers, and analytics companies (“Ad Partners”) that use different technologies to collect Automated Information in order to understand how our Site is being used and analyze where users go after they leave our websites to deliver relevant advertising. These advertisements may appear on other websites or services.
These Ad Partners may recognize a particular individual across third party websites over time and link various devices used by the same individual. For more information about how Ad Partners use the information collected by these technologies and about your options not to accept cookies placed by some of these companies on our websites and mobile applications, please visit WebChoices, the Digital Advertising Alliance’s consumer choice tool. If you are accessing the websites from the European Union, please visit the EDAA’s opt-out page, and if you are accessing the Sites from Canada, please visit the DAAC’s opt-out page.
The opt-outs described above are device- and browser-specific and may not work on all devices. If you choose to opt out through any of these opt-out tools, this does not mean you will cease to see advertising. Rather, the ads you see will be based on the website you are visiting and not your interests.
INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS IN THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA AND THE UNITED KINGDOM
Legal basis for processing data
In this section, we identify the legal grounds on which we rely to process personal information.
In some cases, Code Ocean has a legitimate interest to process the personal information that we collect, such as to develop, administer and support our products and services; to operate, evaluate and improve our business; to promote and support scholarly research and publications; to support our recruitment activities; or to facilitate a sale of assets or merger or acquisition.
In other cases, Code Ocean processes personal information to fulfill our contracts with our business partners, such as scholarly publications.
It may be also necessary for Code Ocean to process personal information to comply with our legal obligations, and to protect against, identify, investigate, and respond to fraud, illegal activity, and claims and other liabilities, including by enforcing the terms and conditions that govern the services we provide.
Privacy preferences, rights and choices
Individuals have certain rights and choices regarding Code Ocean’s processing of their personal information. Please see the “How to Contact Us” section below for contact information for exercising these rights.
Please note that if the exercise of these rights limits our ability to process personal information, we may be precluded from providing our products or services to individuals who exercise these rights, or from otherwise engaging with such individuals going forward.
We reserve the right to verify the identity of the individual in connection with any requests regarding personal information to help ensure that we provide the information to individuals to whom the information pertains, and allow only those individuals or their authorized representatives to exercise rights with respect to that information.
General objections to the processing of personal information
To the extent provided by applicable law, you may withdraw any consent you previously provided to us, or object at any time on legitimate grounds, to the processing of your personal information. In some circumstances, withdrawing your consent to Code Ocean’s use or disclosure of your personal information will mean that Code Ocean will not be able to provide products or services to you or to otherwise engage with you.
Access to personal information
You may request access to the personal information that we maintain about you. If we grant your request, we will provide you with a copy of the personal information we maintain about you in the ordinary course of business, in a commonly used format. You may request to correct any errors in your personal information. We may reject your request to access or correct your information, as permitted by applicable law. If we reject your request, we will notify you of the reasons for the rejection.
Portability of personal information
You may request that we transfer your personal information to another data controller. We may reject your request, as permitted by applicable law. If we reject your request, we will notify you of the reasons for the rejection.
Deletion of personal information
You may request that we delete your personal information. We may reject your request, as permitted by applicable law. If we reject your request, we will notify you of the reasons for the rejection.
International data transfers
We may transfer your information to recipients in countries other than the country in which your information was originally collected. These countries include the United Sates, where we are headquartered and where some of our service providers process and host your information. The laws in those countries may not offer the same level of data protection as the country in which the information was initially provided. When we transfer your information to recipients in other countries, we will protect the information as described in this policy.
If you visit the Site from the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and we transfer your personal data out of the European Economic Area in a manner that requires us to apply additional safeguards to your personal data under European data protection legislation, we will do so.
Code Ocean, Inc.
Attn: Legal – Privacy
311 West 43rd Street,13th Floor, New York, NY 10036
If you are a resident within the European Economic Area, you also have the right to file a complaint with the supervisory authority of your member state.
CODE OCEAN COOKIES POLICY
Effective Date: May 31st, 2018.
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating web domain on your subsequent visits to that domain. Most web pages contain elements from multiple web domains so when you visit the website, your browser may receive cookies from several sources.
Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognize a user’s device. Cookies allow you to navigate between pages efficiently, remember preferences and generally improve the user experience. They can also be used to tailor advertising to your interests through tracking your browsing across websites.
Session cookies are deleted automatically when you close your browser and persistent cookies remain on your device after the browser is closed (for example to remember your user preferences when you return to the site).
What types of cookies does Code Ocean use?
We describe the categories of cookies Code Ocean and its contractors use below.
Strictly Necessary Cookies
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the Website and use its features. Without these cookies, services you have asked for (such as navigating between pages) cannot be provided.
Analytics and Performance Cookies
We make use of analytics cookies to analyze how our visitors use our Website and to monitor Website performance. This allows us to provide a high quality experience by customizing our offering and quickly identifying and fixing any issues that arise. For example, we might use performance cookies to keep track of which pages are most popular, which method of linking between pages is most effective, and to determine why some pages are receiving error messages. We might also use these cookies to highlight articles or site services that we think will be of interest to you based on your usage of the website. The information collected by these cookies is not associated with your personal information by us or by our contractors.
We permit Google Analytics to set performance cookies on the Website. You can opt out of Google Analytics here.
Website Functionality Cookies
Social Media Cookies
Social media cookies are used when you share information using a social media sharing button or “like” (or similar) button on our websites or you link your account or engage with our content on or through a social networking website such as Facebook or Twitter. The social network will record that you have done this.
Targeted Advertising Cookies
Targeted advertising cookies track your browsing habits to enable us and third-party advertising networks to deliver ads that may be of interest to you. These cookies use information about your browsing history to group you with other users who have similar interests or browsing behavior. Based on the cookies that the third-party advertising network sets on our websites and other sites, advertisers can display advertisements that may be relevant to your interests on our websites and while you are on third party websites.
Local Shared Objects (“flash cookies”)
In addition to the above cookies, we may use Local Shared Objects, also referred to as “flash cookies,” on our Website. These are used to enhance your user experience, for example, by storing your user preferences and settings. Local Shared Objects are similar to browser cookies, but can store data more complex than simple text. By themselves, they cannot do anything to or with the data on your computer. Like other cookies, they can only access personally identifiable information that you have provided on the website, and cannot be accessed by other websites. To find out more about flash cookies or how to disable them, please visit http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html.
If you do not agree to the use of these cookies, you may disable them by following the instructions for your browser as explained at http://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/. Please note that some of our services may not function properly if cookies are disabled. You may also opt out of third-party cookies where available by using the links provided in this Cookies Policy.
Furthermore, some parties that set cookies via our site may offer the ability to opt-out of cookies via the Network Advertising Initiative’s consumer opt-out tool, the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance’s consumer opt-out tool, or the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Consumer Choice Page.
Cookies policy does not cover third party websites
Please note that this cookies policy does not apply to, and we are not responsible for, the cookie practices of third party websites which may be linked to this Website.
Changes to the Cookies Policy
We may update this cookies policy and we would encourage you to review the policy from time to time to stay informed of how we are using cookies.