Code Ocean is looking for a Backend Team Lead that will manage, grow, and mentor a team of talented engineers. As a backend Team Lead you will play a central role in the success of growing the backend team, and build innovative cloud-based computational research platform and development tools using the most advanced technologies
About Code Ocean
Code Ocean makes science move faster. Our mission is to make computational research an open, connected community that together drives faster, more collaborative, higher-quality discoveries. We’re a passionate group of people who care about advancing computational research and science.
What you’ll do:
- Manage an agile team of 3 engineers, including Interviewing, hiring, training, mentoring, etc
- Design and lead the development of components of our leading product
- Be responsible for all aspects of software development – from technologies, security, scalability, and reliability, to processes and people development
- Ship products to production, being able to run them from planning, execution, and monitoring in production, and continuously improve them, to create value for our customers
- Perform code & design reviews and maintain a high level of engineering within the team
- Collaborate with other teams to share ideas and lead cross teams developments
- E2E delivery
- Drive technical excellence, high product quality, innovation, and timely delivery in an agile, production-critical environment
- Work as a hands-on developer between 50% of your time
- Innovative – code improvement, Dev efficiency, processes
Our ideal candidate:
- BSc. in computer science (or an equivalent degree)
- At least 7+ years of proven hands-on server-side software development experience in a microservices architecture on cloud environment
- At least 2 years of experience in leading a Software team.
- Strong technical capabilities as well as business orientation and understanding of the “bigger picture”.
- Deep knowledge & experience with cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, Google) services and APIs
- Working with NoSQL databases
- Linux / UNIX tools and environments
- DevOps tools and practices
- Experience in modern software development practices, such as code reviews, unit testing, continuous integration & deployment etc.
- Ability to inspire, lead, and mentor high-performing senior engineers
- Can-do approach and innovative by nature. . Excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
- Independent, fast learner, and enjoys working in a fast-paced, growth environment.
- Have a startup mindset – move fast, take ownership, and strive for success.
- Customer-centric – being able to understand the customer needs to prioritize the projects properly